It is very common that we all love to eat popcorn and if we store it for bad times like suddenly you have a movie night plan that having popcorn by your side is a must thing we all want. So yes we keep it but did you ever think about it before, does microwavable popcorn go bad? Just you left them in your stores or pantries and forgot about it and one day while taking something from the store or pantry you found your bag of popcorn and now you are wondering can you eat it? Are they still fresh and do you have to buy a new one?
The answer is that yes popcorn can also go bad if they are kept for so long as they are full of carbohydrates and protein which are good for one’s health but you still have to know that does microwavable popcorn go bad?
Popcorn can last for a long period of time as they don’t seem to be a thing that can perish. But normal popcorn is made of just kernels whereas microwave popcorn has some artificial things added in it such as kernels, oil and different toppings which can make it a perishable thing. Due to adding artificial things in it now it has an expiry date which confirms its negative factors to be perishable. It can last for a period between 6-8 months only.
6 Ways to detect if Microwave Popcorn goes Bad?
- Flavor: If you are wondering, does microwavable popcorn go bad? Then you can easily find it out by eating an over dated microwave popcorn you suddenly found while you were looking for something else in your pantry or store so you can confirm if its ok or not by cooking and tasting it if its taste is ok and not stale or hard then it is ok to eat otherwise it is a sign that it has gone bad.
- No flavor at all: A good way to save yourself from using bad microwave popcorn is you should eat them and if you feel that they have no flavor at all or they taste rusty or stale then you should not use such popcorn.
- Are all kernels popped?: When you use an outdated microwave popcorn so you can check if they are good to eat by making sure that all the kernels in them pop. If it does not happen and only half of the kernels are popped then it is a big sign that says don't eat these popcorn.
- Bad odor: When you use these over-time microwave popcorn, you can confirm if they are not good to eat by smelling them. If you sense that their smell is different than usual then don’t eat it.
- Insects: If you find any insects or bugs in microwave popcorn that have not been in use for a while then do not eat them and throw them away because they are now affected and it will only make you sick by eating such a bad and not in use microwave popcorn.
- Stale and hard: When they are kept in without use for a long time they become rusty and may taste stale and chewy which will only make your experience bad and you will end up angry.
Now you may be thinking that if microwave popcorn goes bad then how can you eat it after a bit late if you want to. Well there are some ways we found that can help you solve your query that “does microwavable popcorn go bad?”
The following ways might help you saving those microwave popcorn:
- First and most importantly, try to eat by date recommended microwave popcorn so that you don’t have to keep yourself in such a rush.
- Try to keep it away from any places that are heat or steam giving and making the temperature bad for the popcorn.
- Try to keep it in a plastic bag or an air bag container to save it from being stale and hard.
- Keep popcorn in an airtight bag at a cold, dry place so its taste should be the same.
- If you do not want to eat them yet, just do not open the popcorn bag because once you open them they become chewy and hard and will not give a good taste.
- For best results eat it within 1-2 months.
- Try to look at the expiry date of microwave popcorn before buying so you can save yourself from so much hassle.